Jonathan Peddie is a partner in casino games real money no deposit McKenzie's Dispute Resolution team, based in the London office. Jonathan advises clients, primarily in the banking and financial services sector, in relation to corporate investigations, regulatory enforcement, financial crime, and civil and criminal litigation. Jonathan uses his substantial in-house experience to frame advice in a way that puts clients' strategic commercial objectives at the heart of the matter.
Jonathan joined the Firm from Barclays Bank PLC, where he was managing director of litigation, investigations and enforcement and led the bank's financial crime legal team. As head of the litigation and investigations practice he led a large number of high profile regulatory and criminal investigations in the US, EMEA and Asia Pacific regions. The financial crime team partnered the bank's risk and compliance functions, implementing improved systems and controls in respect of money laundering, bribery and corruption and international sanctions. Jonathan has also worked with UK and US law enforcement and intelligence agencies on counter-terrorism, organised crime and other domestic and international security initiatives.
Jonathan has substantial experience of dealing with various regulatory and prosecutorial bodies including the UK Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, UK Serious Fraud Office, UK Crown Prosecution Service, New York Federal Reserve Bank, US Securities and Exchange Commission, US Department of Justice, FBI, Saudi Capital Markets Authority, Security and Futures Authority of Hong Kong and the Monetary Authority of Singapore. He has worked closely with UK Government departments including HM Treasury, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Home Office, National Crime Agency, Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, Combined Security Services, the Office of Fair Trading and the Metropolitan and City of London Police Services.
As well as handling litigation and investigations, Jonathan advises on issues of governance and control spanning the legal, compliance, risk and audit worlds, designing and implementing risk management strategies and control frameworks, and developing investigative capability to enable clients to deliver thorough, cost effective and credible investigation and resolution with the emphasis on effective risk reporting and strong regulatory engagement. He carries his advocacy experience and forensic skills into boardroom and regulatory engagements.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Jonathan's experience includes:
- Acting for Philip Morris International in two successful High Court actions and subsequent appeals concerning the English Courts’ approach to construction of contractual terms.
- Acting for Barclays Bank PLC, with other retail banks, in a landmark consumer case concerning the application of the fairness test in the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 to current account terms and conditions, which was successfully appealed to the Supreme Court in 2009.
- Representing a UK utility company in High Court proceedings concerning the funding of a digital technology joint venture.
- Representing a global tyre manufacturer in a post-acquisition completion accounts dispute in the UK High Court.
- Representing a global law firm in professional negligence actions involving the private equity, automotive and banking sectors.
- Acting for the British Bankers' Association in relation to a Judicial Review application challenging the Financial Services Authority’s approach to principle-based redress schemes arising out of the mis-selling of Payment Protection Insurance.
- Led over 300 large investigations in a wide range of jurisdictions and business contexts.
- England & Wales (1994)
- England & Wales~North America (1994)